Windows Terminal (Linux & Mac users skip this part)
- In order to build you web site from a Windows machine, you must to access Turing using an ssh client; this tutorial will use the one provided by the university. Download and install it here.
- Once you have done so, run ‘SSH Secure Shell Client’ from the icon on you desktop. Sign onto turing using host name turing.csce.uark.edu and use your GACL username and password and port 22 to connect.
Setting up your web site
- SSH into Turing from your terminal. (Windows users have already done this through the steps above).
- First check to see if the default directory permissions are correct. Do this by typing ls -l and press Enter.
- You should have two directories, public_html and secure_html. The list should start: drwxr-s— # usrname www-data.
- If you do not have these directories, or the permissions read drwxr-x— # usrname usrname, you will need to contact an admin to correct them. To do that you can initiate an AskIt case or just drop by JBHT 440 (open hours) to ask for assistance.
- Next, use your public_html directory for the following steps. Type cd public_html (for change directory, public_html) and press Enter.
- Create a file called index.html (the name is important) in the public_html directory. This will be the file that the browser looks for when you navigate to www.csce.uark.edu/~usrname.
- (To create a file type either touch and then the name of the file or use vi. A vi tutorial can be found here)
- To create additional pages, simply add more html or php files to your public_html directory; the url to reach these will be www.csce.uark.edu/~usrname/filename.html (where filename.html is whatever name you gave to the new files).